Here are some practical details so you can join Katie Sutton when she hands over her petition at Thorpe Park’s HQ on Wednesday 30th October 2013. It should be a fun day out, and we should get a great photo!
- Date: Wednesday 30th October 2013
- Time: No later than 2pm
- Meeting place: Staines rail station (south west of London)
- Aim: For Katie to hand over her #AsylumNO petition to Thorpe Park’s HQ in a fun, light-hearted way, showing there are many different ways to dress up and have scary fun without needing to ridicule or demonise a vulnerable and marginalised group like people with mental health problems.
- Photo time: 2:45pm sharp for the big photo at the Thorpe Park gate! Then at 3pm a smaller group including Katie will do the official petition hand over at the ticket line
- Who will be there? Look out for Katie Sutton @caffeinurse who will be holding the #AsylumNO placard above, dressed as a skeleton! There will be a small group of around 10 to 20 people.
- What to bring:
- Your biggest smile and sense of fun
- Placards, bunting and flags from mental health charities
- Halloween make-up, spare wigs and props for those in need! (Katie is bringing some too)
- What to wear: Suggested costumes are either:
- Fun Halloween costumes, such as zombies, witches, black cats, ghosts, ghouls and monsters – but anything that brings scary fun into Halloween without ridiculing and demonising a vulnerable minority like people with mental health problems
- Your everyday clothes – ie your “mental patient” costume – to show that we really aren’t “scary mental patients”
- Please note: This is not a protest and there will be no confrontation with Thorpe Park fans. This has been arranged with Thorpe Park in advance, so it’s all above board and should be fun, not stressful.
- Getting in contact: Please let Katie know if you’re planning to join her. She can be contacted by twitter @caffeinurse, so keep your phone with you! Otherwise, look out for the zombies holding mental health charity placards!
- Katie’s petition – Please sign it if you haven’t already done so, and let your friends know about it too!
- Transport for London’s Journey Planner website to plan your journey to Staines station or call 0343 222 1234. Here are more useful phone numbers
- Press release to share with any journalists you know at regional or national radio, TV, newspapers or websites
- Katie’s post on frequently asked questions – You might want to print a copy and take it with you, as these are the arguments the supporters of Thorpe Park’s “mental patient scary fun” live action horror maze Asylum use over and over again
- Dear theme park customers and horror fans – An explanation of the issues behind the campaign, including links to press coverage